TEACHING KNOWLEDGE TEST
THE RECOMMENDED MINIMUM LEVEL REQUIRED IS B1
The TKT exam (Teaching Knowledge Test) is designed for teachers of English who work with children and adults alike. This exam consists of three modules. You can take the exam in stages or test your knowledge by taking several modules at once. Each module tests a particular aspect of teaching.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF THE TKT CERTIFICATE?
- the right to teach English abroad;
- incentive to improve pedagogical and methodological skills;
- handy tool for teacher training;
- great argument in your favour of certification, participation in contests and grants.
HOW TO TAKE TKT?
TKT exam consists solely of a written test. The duration of one module is 80 minutes. Task types: matching, 3-option multiple choice, odd one out. Each correct answer gives you one point. After passing each module, a separate certificate is issued to the assessment of Band 1 to Band 4.
Each of the exam modules tests your knowledge of English language teaching methodology, which involves the following:
MODULE № 1. LANGUAGE AND BACKGROUND TO LANGUAGE LEARNING AND TEACHING
- Description of grammatical terminology, phonetic and lexical systems of English, as well as the functions of speech;
- Skills of four kinds of language activity (writing, listening, reading, and speaking);
- the theoretical basis of the process of language acquisition and the fact that this process affects: motivation, scope and methods of delivery of language material, presentation of grammatical structures; student’s individual characteristics (age, individual learning style and ability perceptions, strategies, presence of previous experience of learning a foreign language, etc.);
- Error analysis in students’ speech;
- Individual needs of the student in the process of learning a foreign language;
- Theory of foreign language teaching using various methods and techniques, namely the methods of presentation of new material, the types of exercises and activities, various types of assessment, etc.;
- Methodical terminology for describing the learning process.
MODULE № 2. MODERN ENGLISH LANGUAGE LESSON: PLANNING AND USE OF RESOURCES FOR LANGUAGE TEACHING
- Ability to plan lessons and units of lessons: definition of objectives and structure of the lesson, knowledge of planning its stages;
- Knowledge and understanding of the structure of the lesson objectives for each lesson stage;
- Ability to model lesson stages in accordance with the objectives and needs of the students;
- Ability to choose the form of current and overall assessment corresponding to the learning objectives and categories of students;
- Ability to use additional teaching manuals and materials.
MODULE № 3. MANAGING THE TEACHING AND LEARNING PROCESS
- Language proficiency and the ability to conduct a lesson in the language, adapting it according to the level of students, i.e., to explain the task clearly, organise its execution, help the student to put their answer in the language competently, to give a new definition of the word, to understand the communicative task of the student’s statements in the class, etc.;
- Ability to identify and explain the nature of the student’s error;
- Control over the means of the educational process in the classroom with the purpose of its activation;
- Knowledge and proper use of the functions and roles of teachers and students in the classroom;
- Knowledge of the forms and methods of the educational process and ability to professionally organise interaction in the classroom;
- Ability to analyse and professionally correct errors;
- Ability to properly assess the students’ answers with appropriate comments and recommendations.
EACH MODULE IS SEPARATELY EVALUATED ACCORDING TO THE FOLLOWING SCALE:
Band 1: limited knowledge of this module;
Band 2: basic systematic knowledge;
Band 3: good knowledge of this module;
Band 4: extensive and profound knowledge of the methodology.
REGISTRATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- You can register either by filling out the application form on the Oxford Klass website or by phone:
+ 38 (044) 229-29-99.
- Only Oxford Klass provides you with a unique opportunity to register the day before the exam without any penalty.